8:30-10:00: Session 1
- Keynote 1: Energy Packet Networks: Adaptive Energy Management for the Cloud. Erol Gelenbe (Imperial College).
Abstract: In the presence of limitations in the availability of energy for data centres, especially in dense urban areas, a novel system that we call an Energy Packet Network is discussed as a means to provide energy on demand to Cloud Computing servers. This approach can be useful in the presence of renewable energy sources, and if scarce sources of energy must be shared by multiple computational units whose peak to average power consumption ratio is high. Such a system will use energy storage units to best match and smooth the intermittent supply and the intermittent demand. The analysis of such systems based on queueing networks is suggested and applied to a special case for illustration.
- Keynote 2: Cost-efficient Task Farming with ConPaaS. Thilo Kielmann (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam). [slides]
10:30-12:00: Session 2
- Leveraging Feature Models to Configure Virtual Appliances. Clément Quinton, Romain Rouvoy and Laurence Duchien (INRIA Lille). [slides]
- Public vs Private Cloud Usage Costs: The StratusLab Case. Ioannis Konstantinou, Vangelis Floros and Nectarios Koziris (National Technical University of Athens). [slides]
- A Performance Evaluation of Azure and Nimbus Clouds for Scientific Applications. Radu Tudoran, Alexandru Costan, Gabriel Antoniu and Luc Bougé (INRIA Rennes). [slides]
13:30-15:00: Session 3
- A Genetic Algorithm for Workload Scheduling In Cloud Based e-Learning. Octavian Morariu, Cristina Morariu and Theodor Borangiu (University Politehnica Bucharest). [slides]
- Living in the Present: On-the-fly Information Processing in Scalable Web Architectures. David Eyers (University of Otago), Tobias Freudenreich (Technische Universitat darmstadt), Alessandro Margara (Politecnico di Milano), Sebastian Frischbier (Technische Universitat Darmstadt), Peter Pietzuch (Imperial College London) and Patrick Eugster (Purdue University). [slides]
- Providing Fault-tolerant Execution of Web-service-based Workflows within Clouds. Johannes Behl (Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg), Tobias Distler (Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg), Florian Heisig (Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg), Rüdiger Kapitza (TU Braunschweig) and Matthias Schunter (IBM Research Zurich). [slides]
15:30-17:00: Session 4
- Meeting Service Level Objectives of Pig Programs. Zhuoyao Zhang (University of Pennsylvania), Ludmila Cherkasova (Hewlett-Packard Labs), Abhishek Verma (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) and Boon Thau Loo (University of Pennsylvania). [slides]
- Virtual InfiniBand Clusters for HPC Clouds. Marius Hillenbrand, Viktor Mauch, Jan Stoess, Konrad Miller and Frank Bellosa (KIT). [slides]
- File Routing Middleware for Cloud Deduplication. Petros Efstathopoulos (Symantec Research Labs).